Follow the detailed instructions below for successfully completing
your video interview and submitting it to Heinz College as part of your
application for admission.
You have the option of completing a
one-question video interview in support of your application for
admission. The video interview will be available after you submit your
application and all required supporting materials.
interview is optional, but is strongly recommended for non-native
speakers of English. We encourage all applicants to consider completing
the video interview.
Preparing For Your Video Interview
in a real, professional job interview, we do not share interview
questions with you before the actual interview. If you would like to
prepare for your interview, you may wish to search the internet for
advice on preparing for a job interview and/or professional graduate
school interview in the United States.
Note: After you begin the
video interview, you will not be able to pause, cancel, or re-record
any of your answers. Please keep this in mind as you decide when and
where to complete your video interview to minimize the chance that you
are interrupted by a roommate, family member, pet or anyone else while
recording your video response.
Who Can Appear In The Video?
The video and audio must be of you, the applicant (not a proxy).
When Will You Complete Your Video Interview? What Can You Expect?
will receive an email invitation from Carnegie Mellon University's
Heinz College asking you to visit the status page of your application to
open your personalized video interview within 24 hours AFTER your
application becomes complete (online application submitted and all
recommendations, official transcripts and official test scores
If you want to ensure that your video interview is
available when your application is reviewed, please try to complete your
interview within 5 days of the date you receive the invitation to the
video interview (within 5 days of when your application becomes
Here is what you can expect if you choose to complete the video interview:
- You will receive an email from the us AFTER your application becomes
COMPLETE (all supporting materials received and all applicable official
test scores verified). This status will be posted on the "status" page
of your application.
- The email will invite you to visit the
status page of your application to see the video interview link to
complete your video interview.
- When you click the link, the video interview window will open,
providing instructions for ensuring that your computer is set up
correctly for the video interview.
- You will be able to record a test video to confirm that your settings are correct and to become comfortable with the system.
- Immediately after recording your test video, you will have an opportunity to watch the recording.
- You will be able to record a test response several times if you need to
make adjustments to your settings - and to practice using the system.
(Your test videos will not be saved, nor will they be sent to Carnegie
- When you begin the actual interview, you will be asked one (1) randomly-selected question.
- You will have 90 seconds to read the question on the screen and decide how to answer.
- After the 90 seconds of reading/preparation time ends, your computer will automatically begin to record your answer.
- You will have 90 seconds to provide your answer. You will have only one chance to answer the question.
- You will not be able to pause the interview after it starts.
- You may stop recording if you finish answering the question in less
than 90 seconds. (It is fine to provide a shorter answer!)
- You will not be able to re-record any answer after the interview begins.
- You will be able to watch your response.
- You will only be able to complete the interview one time.
- As with a live interview, you will not be able to re-record your
answer. Please approach the video interview like a "real", live online
video or in-person interview.
After you complete your video interview, it will automatically be
added to your application for review by the admissions committee.