All applicants are required to have two (2) recommendation forms submitted on their behalf. Recommendations should be provided from employers, supervisors, professors, or others who are able to comment on your professional and educational goals and potential. At least one (1) of your recommenders should know you in a professional setting (full-time employment, internship, part-time employment, research, non-academic extracurricular activity, etc.) You may opt to have up to three (3) recommendations submitted in support of your application.
Please note: recommendations from friends, family members or acquaintances, and other sources not able to evaluate applicants on an academic or professional basis, will not be accepted.
Recommendations are submitted electronically through the online application system by your recommenders. We do not accept recommendations submitted on paper.
You must enter the names and contact information for each recommendation provider into the application system. Prior to requesting that your recommendation providers complete the recommendation online, be sure to check with them to ensure that you register them with the correct (preferably professional) email address.
Please let your recommenders know that they may upload an electronic document or scanned copy of a paper-based recommendation using the online system rather than using the text box response fields (but they must upload their recommendation via the online system).
All recommenders will be asked to provide brief answers to the following questions. Recommenders may skip questions that are not applicable to what they know about you.
- How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant? Please clearly indicate your position in relation to the applicant (i.e. - professor/instructor, direct supervisor, mentor, advisor, colleague, etc.).
- Do you believe the applicant gives her/his maximum effort and perseveres towards the stated goal when given a task, assignment or project? Please provide details to support your answer.
- Discuss how the applicant works in a group (including interpersonal skills) and/or functions in a leadership role.
- Describe the applicant's ability to communicate in oral and written form.
- Provide an example where the applicant worked to solve a problem or handled a difficult situation in a professional manner.
- If you are able, please describe the applicant's understanding of, background in and commitment to this academic/professional field.
- Please share any additional information about the applicant’s personal qualities, maturity, academic or professional record which you believe would be helpful to the admissions committee.
- Please select your overall recommendation regarding this individual's application for admission for graduate study at Carnegie Mellon University. (Recommenders must select one of these responses: Strongly recommend, Recommend, Recommend with reservations, Do not recommend.)
|Work Experience||Suggested Recommender Type|
|0-1 year||Academic||Academic or Professional|