You may complete a video interview or prepare and submit a short video essay with your application for admission. The video interview and/or video essay are optional, but they are strongly recommended for non-native speakers of English. We encourage all applicants to consider completing the video interview as a preferred alternative to submitting the optional video essay. If you submit the optional video interview as well as the optional video essay, both will be reviewed by the admissions committee, but submitting both may not necessarily improve your chances for admission.
We are happy to now offer an automated, online video interview to all applicants as a preferred alternative to submitting the optional video essay, particularly for non-native speakers of English.
Please Note: After you begin the video interview, you will not be able to pause, cancel or re-record any of your answers. Please keep this in mind as you decide when and where to complete your video interview. The video (and audio) must be of you, the applicant (not a proxy).
Instructions: Please click on the Check-In URL on the Essays and Uploads page of the online application to begin your interview. The link should appear within ten minutes of completing and saving the Degree Information page in your application. You will also receive an email invitation from Kira Talent with this Check-In URL. Please refresh your browser if the URL is not yet visible. The Check-In URL will remain available after you submit your online application. If you wish to include a video interview with your application, please complete the video interview no later than 7 days after you submit the online application.
Here is what you can expect if you complete the video interview:
- You will first receive instructions and the system will help you ensure that your computer is set up correctly to begin the interview.
- You will then have a chance to answer two randomised practice questions an unlimited number of times to become comfortable with the system. Immediately after responding to each practice question, you will have a chance to watch your practice video. (Your practice videos will not be saved nor will they be sent to Carnegie Mellon University.)
- When you begin the actual interview, you will be asked three (3) randomised questions.
- After you see and hear the question, you will have 20 seconds to think about your answer.
- After the preparation time ends, your computer will automatically begin to record your answer.
- You will have 60 seconds to provide each answer. You will have only one chance to answer each question.
- You will not be able to pause the interview after it starts.
- You will not be able to re-record any answer after the interview begins.
- You may complete your video interview before or after you submit the online application, but you will only be able to complete the interview one time. If you want to ensure that your video interview is reviewed by the admissions committee, please be sure to complete your interview within 7 days after you submit the online application (at the latest).
- Just like a real, live interview, you will not be able to view your answer to any questions nor will you be able to view your completed interview.
At the conclusion of your interview, you will see a very short Thank You video to confirm your video submission. You will also receive a confirmation email from Kira Talent after your video interview has been completed. Your video interview will automatically be added to your online application. If you have not submitted your online application at the time that you record your video interview, please remember to complete and submit your online application after recording your interview.
If you decide to submit a video essay, please prepare a one-minute-long video that lets the admission committee know who you are, what you do well, and what you are looking to achieve in your graduate study at the CMU Australia. Please note that the video must be of the you, the applicant (not a proxy). If there is more than one person in the video, please clarify which person is you, the applicant. What you do or say is totally up to you as long as you provide the information requested.
Upload the video to an easily accessible website (such as YouTube) and give us the URL and any required access codes in the appropriate fields within the application for admission. It is the applicant’s responsibility to correctly configure the security and access settings for the video. We recommend that the applicant use the strongest privacy settings available while still allowing access to the CMU Australia. If using YouTube, we suggest using the “Unlisted Video” setting so that only individuals who have the URL can view it. The applicant is also responsible for adhering to the terms and conditions of the website used to share the video essay. Following evaluation of the video essay, CMU Australia will retain a short excerpt or screen shot of the video as a part of the official student record.
We are unable to watch videos that come in any form other than a URL link. We will not accept videos sent by email or on DVD through the mail.