Starting your studies with CMU-A virtually
- What teaching methods will be used during the February Semester? We are currently using a hybrid model of teaching with both face-to-face and remote live video learning. Students already in Adelaide can take their classes either in-person or online synchronously. Those based overseas will connect individually to virtual classrooms from their respective locations. Students will be able to engage with faculty in real-time. They will also be assisted by teaching assistants as needed.
- How have CMU-A students fared with this hybrid model of teaching so far? While it took a little time to adjust, we’ve had some great feedback from our students. In a recent survey, 86 per cent of our students rated their overall experience with CMU-A’s online learning as good or excellent. Our academics and professional staff are doing everything possible to continue to deliver a world-class education amid a global pandemic.
- Do I view recorded lectures or attend a live lecture? You will attend live lectures - classes are scheduled to suit the difference in time zone. Depending on your schedule, you’ll need to connect between three to six hours a day. This may include review sessions, additional group discussion, consultation with teaching assistants, etc.
- Are lectures recorded? Yes. If you are unable to attend lectures synchronously, you may review the recorded lectures. Review sessions will be held at staggered hours so you may select to choose a session that suits you best. Review sessions would also be recorded and posted on our learning platform, Canvas.
- How can I collaborate with other students or faculty if I’m attending live video classes from overseas? Course materials, discussion boards, group discussions and collaborations can be conducted via our Canvas online learning platform. You can also connect to students and faculty via Zoom live video conferencing and email. Live video meetings will also be arranged with faculty and staff.
- What support will I receive from CMU-A if starting my course remotely via live video? Our IT team will work with you to ensure you have the required hardware configuration, software, VPN connectivity, video conferencing, etc.
- What video conferencing system does CMU-A use? We use the Zoom platform for the online delivery of our courses.
- Is there any other software I need to install to attend lectures remotely? No. You just need to have a strong internet connection.
- How does CMU-A accommodate time zone differences between Australia and the students' home countries when delivering the course live video? All lectures are conducted at times that would generally be suitable for students. In addition, the lectures will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend lectures synchronously, you may review the recorded lectures. Review sessions will be held at staggered hours so you may select to choose a session that suits you best. Review sessions would also be recorded and posted on Canvas, the learning platform.
- Can I still complete internships? Yes. We encourage and support our students to look for virtual internships which can be completed online.
Health and Safety
- Is Adelaide safe? Adelaide, like Australia as a whole, prides itself on being safe, welcoming, and multicultural. As a community, we have always supported one another in times of need. This includes looking after the health, safety, and wellbeing of our international students. The Australian Government, state and territory governments, educational institutions and the CMU-A community is here to support you.
- When and how can international students travel to Adelaide? Should you wish to start remotely and travel to Australia when the borders re-open, the guidance we have received from the State Government is, briefly, as follows: Travel to Adelaide, South Australia will be via Singapore on commercial Singapore Airlines flights. Bookings for these flights will be available to those with visas activated by the Australian Federal Government. CMU-A will work with the Federal and State Governments to coordinate this activation. Students will receive an email confirming that their visa is active for entry into Australia. Upon arrival in Adelaide, students will be taken to a quarantine hotel for two weeks, where they can continue their remote studies using the provided internet connection. For further details regarding the quarantine, see SA Quarantine Arrangements. The cost of the quarantine, in whole or in part, can be charged your transition support package subject to the specific maximum per student.
- Would I be covered under OSHC if I need to undertake remote studies before I am able to travel to Australia? You will be covered during the entire period of your student visa, but the OSHC cover starts from the date of arrival in Australia. The good news is that you only need to pay pro-rata for the time you're physically in Australia.
- Am I able to get a discount on my tuition fees if I need to do part of my course remotely? No. The current fees, scholarships and student financial support package are competitive and enable you to receive a value for money education. The live video sessions conducted by our high-quality faculty were carefully designed to match the in-classroom experience.
- Will having some lessons delivered remotely be detrimental to recognizing my degree internationally? No. Students will graduate with a Carnegie Mellon University degree. Your degree is accredited and recognised in both the United States and Australia.
- I've paid my deposit, when can I expect to receive my CoE? CMU-A would require all documents for a financial assessment. Once the financials are approved, it will take no longer than a week for issuance of CoE.
- Will continuing to study remotely impact my eligibility to receive the post-study work visa (which requires 16 months of in-person study in Australia)? This question applies to those who are enrolled in the 21-month Australia programs (and possibly to those in the Global programs who inquired about transferring to Australia programs should they encounter visa issues to travel to the US). The Department of Home Affairs has advised CMU-A that the period of online study due to pandemic restrictions will not detract from one’s eligibility. The Department has advised that it is “updating our policy document for the ‘Australian Study Requirement’ (ASR), which should be published by early 2021 and this addresses the ability for student visa holders to use online study towards the post-study work visa (subclass 485), for the period borders are closed due to COVID-19".
- Given the current high unemployment rates due to COVID-19, what are my future career opportunities in Australia? CMU-A Careers office has a dedicated team to assist graduates seeking employment in Australia and will assist all students to obtain internships, as well as full-time employment after graduation. Plus, a CMU-A qualification will make you an attractive potential employee to employers in Australia, at home and around the world.