Frequently Asked Questions

January 2021 Intake FAQ

The application deadline is 15 September 2020. Here are some FAQs to provide you with helpful and accurate information about your next steps towards becoming a part of the Carnegie Mellon University community in Australia.

Application process

When is the application deadline?
15th September 2020

How can I submit my application?
You can directly apply on the website

Health and Safety

Is it safe to travel to Australia?
Australia prides itself on being a safe, welcoming, and multicultural country. As a community, we have always supported one another in times of need. This includes looking after the health, safety, and wellbeing of our international students.

The Australian Government, state and territory governments, educational institutions and the CMU-A community is here to support you. We have zero active cases of COVID 19 patients in South Australia in the past eight weeks, a significant step in the elimination of the virus in our State.

Will it be safe to attend classes at the CMU-A campus?
CMU-A provides updated information from Australian health authorities on Adelaide’s safety as well as guidelines on steps taken to ensure safety on campus for staff and students.

We have a comprehensive set of guidelines and procedures for students, staff and faculty that enables everyone to feel and be safe. A hybrid model of study (in the classroom and virtual live video) commenced on 29 June 2020.

Travel approval

When and how can international students travel to Australia?
The Australian Federal Government has recently announced it will recommence granting student visas in all locations outside Australia so that when borders re-open, students will already have visas and be able to make travel arrangements.

CMU-A is in ongoing contact with representants of all levels of Government to ensure access to accurate and up-to-date information as things progress or change.

Visa application

When will Australian High Commission in my city/country re-open and how long could my student visa process take?
Further to the Australian Federal Government’s announcement to recommence granting student visas in all locations outside Australia, please check with the respective Australian Embassy / High Commission in your country. We expect a processing time of six weeks after visa applications have been submitted. Get regular updates on travel advisories and visas for Australia.

If my visa is granted after the semester has commenced, can I still travel to Adelaide? Is there a cut-off date when I need to be in

  • Students are welcome to resume their classes in person as soon as you are able to travel to Adelaide.
  • Should there be a mandatory quarantine, CMU-A will be supporting you throughout the duration. You will continue to attend classes remotely during the quarantine.

Hybrid model of delivery

What is the teaching method that will be used?
We are currently using a hybrid model of teaching with both face-to-face and remotely via live video. We expect to transition to full face-to-face by January 2021, but students who are unable to travel in time may still commence their studies virtually

Do I view recorded lectures or attend a live lecture? Do I need to follow a class

  • Live lecture - classes are scheduled to suit the difference in time zone.
  • You may need to connect between 3 to 6 hours per day, depending on your schedule. This may include review sessions, additional group discussion, consultation with teaching assistants, etc.

How can I collaborate with other students or faculty if I'm attending live video classes from overseas?
CMU-A uses Canvas as the learning platform. Course materials, discussion boards, group discussions and collaborations can be conducted on Canvas. Additionally, you may connect to students and faculty via Zoom live video conference and e-mail. Live video consultation meetings will also be arranged with faculty and staff.

What support will I receive from CMU-A if starting my course remotely via live video?
CMU-A IT team will work with you to ensure you have the required hardware configuration, software, VPN connectivity, video conferencing, etc.

What video conferencing system does CMU use for remote delivery and is there any other software I need to install to attend lectures remotely?
We use the Zoom platform for remote delivery and you need to have a good internet connection.

How could CMU-A accommodate time zone differences between Australia and the students' home countries when delivering the course live video?
All lectures are conducted at times that would generally be suitable for students. In addition, the lectures will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend lectures synchronously, you may review the recorded lectures. Review sessions will be held at staggered hours so you may select to choose a session that suits you best. Review sessions would also be recorded and posted on Canvas, the learning platform.

Post Study Work Visa

If I cannot travel to Australia, will the period I study remotely count towards qualifying for a CMU Post Study Work Visa?
The Australian Federal Government is committed to ensuring that students affected by coronavirus are not unduly penalised for their post-study work visas. Therefore, it has adopted a flexible approach towards remote study so that it will count towards time spent in Australia. It has already announced that current student visa holders studying online outside Australia due to the COVID-19 will be able to use that study to count towards the Australian study requirement for a post-study work visa.


Will I be required to undertake quarantine when I arrive in Australia?
Yes. Under the current legislation, a mandatory 2-week quarantine is required for all visitors arriving from overseas.

Where will I have to undertake the quarantine?
If you have arrived in Australia from overseas, you are required to undergo a mandatory quarantine for 14 days at the port of entry: Adelaide, Sydney or Melbourne (depending on the flight of your choice).

Will I receive support in booking and paying for the accommodation for my quarantine period?
Yes. CMU-A will arrange and cover the cost of quarantine (up to one month of accommodation). In addition, CMU-A will also cover the cost of a one-way flight and arrange complimentary airport pick up.


Would I be covered under OSHC if I need to undertake remote studies before I am able to travel to Australia?
You will be covered during the entire period of your student visa, but the OSHC cover starts from the date of arrival in Australia. The good news is that you only need to pay pro-rata for the time you're physically in Australia.

Am I able to get a discount on my tuition fees if I need to do part of my course remotely?
No. The current fees, scholarships and student financial support package are competitive and enable you to receive a value for money education. The live video sessions conducted by our high-quality faculty were carefully designed to match the in-classroom experience.

Will having some lessons delivered remotely be detrimental to recognising my degree internationally?
No. Students will graduate with a Carnegie Mellon University degree. Your degree is accredited and recognised in both the United States and Australia.

I've paid my deposit, when can I expect to receive my CoE?

  • CMU-A would require all documents for a financial assessment.
  • Once the financials are approved, it will take no longer than a week for issuance of CoE.


Given the current high unemployment rates due to COVID-19, what are my future career opportunities in Australia?
CMU-A Careers office has a dedicated team to assist graduates seeking employment in Australia and will assist all students to obtain internships, as well as full-time employment after graduation.

Plus, a CMU-A qualification will make you an attractive potential employee to employers in Australia, at home and around the world.


Who can I contact for further details?
You can contact us by filling out this form.

Entry Requirements

What are the entry requirements?

The entry requirements vary between programs, please check the Entry Requirements for full details.

What are the required scores for IELTS or TOEFL?

All programs (except global)

- Minimum IELTS (academic) overall of 6.5 with 6.0 in all sub-bands; or

- Minimum TOEFL 22 in all bands

Global programs

- Minimum IELTS (academic) overall of 7.0 with 6.5 in all sub-bands; or

- Minimum TOEFL 25 in all bands

Do I need GMAT or GRE to apply to CMU-A?

You are required to submit valid test results from either the GRE (General Test) or the GMAT from within the last five years. The test scores must be reported directly to Heinz College by the testing service. We recommend that you take the GMAT or GRE at least one month prior to the application deadline. Applicants who are sponsored by and/ or participating in a program associated with one of our partners may opt to sit for the CMU Australia Institutional Maths Online Test (IMOT)

What are the required scores for GMAT, GRE or CMU Institutional Maths Online Test?

All programs (except global)

The following are the minimum test scores required.

GRE - 300

GMAT - 600

CMU Institutional Maths Online Test - 80%

Global programs

MSIM Global

MSPPM Global

Does my bachelor degree have to be in IT if I want to enrol in an IT program?

Your bachelor degree doesn't have to be in IT, but you do need some programming experience or have successfully completed a suitable programming course. If you are unsure whether your experience meets the requirement, please contact us on for further guidance.

I studied English in high school/university, do I still need to take IELTS/TOEFL?

You may be exempted from this requirement if you’re a citizen of one of the following countries and you have undertaken secondary and/or tertiary study in English in the national education system (or equivalent) and/or at a recognised local university.

KenyaLesothoMalawiNambiaNew Zealand
NigeriaSouth AfricaSwazilandTanzaniaUganda
United KingdomUnited StatesZambia

I don’t have any IT programming experience. Can I still apply for MSIT-BIDA/MSIT-ITM/MISM Global?

All Information Technology programs require programming experience in data structures and an object-oriented programming language such as C, C++ or Java. Students who do not have this experience must achieve a grade of B or higher in one of the Java courses listed on this page.

Who should I ask to provide recommendations for me?

We require two recommendations from people who can provide academic or professional references. The following is a rough guide based on your years of work experience.

Work Experience Reference Type
None 2 Academic
0 - 1 year1 Academic & 1 Academic/Professional
1 - 3 years 1 Academic & 1 Professional
More than 3 years 2 Professional


When is the next intake and deadline for application?

All programs (except global)

Deadline for August Intake:

  • International Students - 30 April
  • Australian Students - 15 July

Deadline for January (part-time) Intake:

  • Australian Students - 15 November

Global programs

Deadline for August Intake:

  • International Students - 10 January
  • Australian Students - 10 January

When can I expect a response regarding admission?

All programs (except global)

If your application is complete and no further information is required, your application will be assessed in approximately 2 to 3 weeks.

Global programs

Your application will be assessed within 2 to 3 months after the application closing date.

Can I lodge a paper-based application?

No, all applications must be lodged online.

Can I apply to more than one program?

Yes. Note that in most cases you will need to complete a separate application for each program. Do ensure you examine each program’s entry requirements closely as they may differ.

I am encountering technical issues with my application, what should I do?

Some common issues are:

  • Not uploading documents required
  • Not entering recommenders' details
  • Not filling out the GRE/GMAT or IELTS/TOEFL section

Please note that you can't submit an application unless the above have been done. If you are getting an error message, it is likely you have not completed one or more of the above sections.

If you have done all of the above and are still having issues, please contact us on and we can further assist you.

Program Information

Can international students take the Graduate Certificate or Advanced Diploma in BIDA?

No, currently the Graduate Certificate and the Advanced Diploma in BIDA are only offered to Australian citizens and Permanent Residents.

What is the difference between the programs in Adelaide and Pittsburgh?

Programs run in Adelaide and Pittsburgh deliver the same curriculum, allowing our students the opportunity to take courses from faculty across the global CMU network, to receive the same degree, and to enjoy the same alumni connections.

Global programs conclude with two semesters in Pittsburgh, while all other programs are completely conducted in Adelaide.

Does Carnegie Mellon University in Australia offer a PhD program?

There are no PhD programs available at Carnegie Mellon University in Australia. However, many of our graduates go on to PhD programs at leading universities around the world.

Can I transfer from a CMU-A program to a program in Pittsburgh?

No, students are unable to transfer from the Australian programs to the global programs or another program in Pittsburgh.

Do I study the same curriculum taught by CMU faculty?

Yes, students study the same world-class CMU curriculum and are taught by faculty employed by CMU.

Will I gain credit for my prior studies?

Carnegie Mellon University may grant credit or advanced standing or exemptions for subjects or qualifications completed at other tertiary institutions within Australia, USA or overseas.

Applications for credit or exemptions are usually assessed upon enrolment and in most cases you will need to provide detailed subject descriptions for an assessment to be undertaken.

I'm an Australian student and would like to study MSIT-BIDA/MSIT-ITM/MSPPM part-time, but I'm concerned about the timing of lectures. Will there be evening classes?

We do offer some courses in the evening, however this is not applicable to all courses. Please check the course schedule for more information

Can I take leave or withdraw from my study?

If you wish to take leave or withdraw from your course at the University, you should contact the Senior Director of Academic and Institutional Development to discuss your circumstances as soon as possible. To withdraw from your course, you will need to formally notify the University by contacting the Admissions office.

Can the university suspend or terminate my enrollment, and for what reasons?

The University may suspend or terminate your enrollment due to unpaid fees, failing to re-enroll, general or academic misconduct, or unsatisfactory academic progress in accordance with University Policies and Procedures.

International students: The University must notify the Australian Government of student visa holders whose enrollment has been suspended or terminated. The government may cancel your student visa if your enrollment is terminated as a result of misconduct or unsatisfactory academic progress. Students who no longer study in Australia must depart Australia or apply for another visa within 28 days of the enrollment cancellation date or before their visa expires (whichever occurs first). Contact the Australian Government for further information.


Can I do my internship internationally?

Yes, you may choose to take your internship in Australia or globally (except the United States).

Do you provide assistance in finding an internship?

Students are encouraged to intern in an organisation that corresponds to your individual area of interest and career goals. You may choose to find an internship yourself or seek the support from our Career Services.

Where have students done their internships?

You can find a list of our past internship placements on our Internships page.

Fees and Scholarships

Does CMU-A offer scholarships?

Yes, we offer competitive scholarships.

International Students

- Academic merit-based scholarships valued up to 50% of total tuition (all programs except Global)

Australian Students

- Downer-Rann scholarships valued at 60% of total tuition

- Academic merit-based scholarships valued up to $10,000 (all programs except Global)

After You Apply

I am a sponsored student, do I have to pay the deposit?

Students sponsored by an approved partner of Carnegie Mellon University in Australia will not be required to pay the tuition deposit. The sponsoring agency will be invoiced for the tuition fee amount at census date.

Can I access FEE-HELP?

If you are an Australian citizen, you should be able to access FEE-HELP.

Work and Study

Is there any career service assistance during and after my program?

Carnegie Mellon University in Australia provides its students with careers counselling and professional coaching services to assist students and alumni to progress their careers.

Some of the services include:

  • Individual Counselling
  • Workshops - Resume writing, interview skills, negotiating job offers, business etiquette and case interviews
  • Employer Networking
  • Career Services Team - support students in finding internships

What on-campus work opportunities are available?

On-campus work opportunities including library and teaching assistants are available.

Can I work while holding a student visa? If so, how many hours?

Yes, you can. Currently you are allowed to work 20 hours per week, This Australian Government website provides more details.

Can I apply for post study work visa in Australia?

If you're enrolled in the 21-month programs (exclude global tracks), you are eligible to apply for the 2-year post study work visa in Australia

Can I work in the United States after graduation?

If you're an Australian citizen, you're eligible to apply for E-3 visa to work in the United States. For more information, visit :

Graduation and Transcripts

Do I graduate with Carnegie Mellon University degree?

Yes, students graduate with exactly the same degree and transcripts as students who graduate in Pittsburgh. All degrees are conferred from our Pittsburgh office.

What campus details are listed on my degree or transcripts?

No campus details are listed on your degree or transcript.

Can I attend the graduation ceremony in Pittsburgh?

Students are able to attend the graduation ceremony in Pittsburgh. Travel and accommodation for the ceremony will be covered at the student's own expense.