With the World Bank estimating that globally about $1 trillion per year is paid in bribes, and that this illegality leads to poor economic performance and human rights violations, this course examines the phenomenon of corruption, identifies the contexts within which it flourishes, explores means of measuring it, and analyses the opportunity structure for corruption. The course also touches on corruption control, and pathways to prevention.
- At the end of this module students will be able to
- Describe different concepts, definitions and measures of corruption
- Illustrate corrupt behaviour with specific examples
- Analyse types of corruption in different settings
- Move beyond description of corruption to strategic analysis for intervention or prevention