The Australian Government has announced in a joint media release today a number of changes to student visa arrangements to ensure Australia remains a competitive and viable choice as a study destination.
1. The Government will recommence granting student visas in all locations lodged outside Australia. This means when borders re-open, students will already have visas and be able to make arrangements to travel.
2. International students will be able to lodge a further student visa application free of charge, if they are unable to complete their studies within their original visa validity due to COVID-19.
3. Current student visa holders studying online outside Australia due to COVID-19 will be able to use that study to count towards the Australian study requirement for a post-study work visa.
4. Graduates who held a student visa will be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa outside Australia if they are unable to return due to COVID-19.
5. Additional time will be given for applicants to provide English language results where COVID-19 has disrupted access to these services.
“We are a welcoming nation with a world-class education system and some of the lowest rates of COVID-19 in the world. Students want to study here and we want to welcome them back in a safe and measured way when it is safe to do so." -
The Hon Alan Tudge, Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs